Wednesday, April 15, 2009

a bookshelf transformation......

I have been searching for a bookshelf for Evan's room FOREVER! I wanted one that was about 4 foot tall by 4 foot wide. Evidently, I'm the only person who has ever wanted a bookshelf this size because it seemed impossible to find. So...Saturday, I went to an antique mall and found this one. It was in an abandoned booth with no price on it. I asked the lady working and she told me $30.00. SOLD! Even the crappy, not right sized ones I have seen are usually $100 or more...so this sounded good. It is definitely not in good shape, but I figured for the price, I could make it work...and if not...it would be good storage in the garage.
Here it is before:

and after replacing the back with a piece of bead board and doing some painting and distressing:

I did alot of sanding and did some crackle spots...I am not very good at the whole crackle thing, but it's fun to try..... Here it is in the room. I got a few things on it tonight, but still have alot to go.....
The problem now will be figuring out what to hang above it. Since the tv sits on top of it, it's going to be hard to hang something without it being really high or off center. I may order one of those vinyl wall sticker off of etsy to try. Maybe some kind of tree or branch with a bird or something.
Anyway....it certainly isn't a fabulous piece of funiture, but the size is great and it will do for now.
Now, on to curtains and pillow shams.
hrk

2 comments:

Rachel Brown said...

Oh you should have Leannes dad make you a pink distressed frame like your black one and put a mirror in it. Oh and what happened to your foot a long time ago??? I think I am going to have bad dreams about those stitches you had.

Anonymous said...

...please where can I buy a unicorn?